Gena Hamshaw’s original recipe with video here at FOOD52.
Adapted from her book Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals.
Gena’s website: The Full Helping.
If you like macaroni salad, egg salad, potato salad, then you’ll love this chickpea salad. It’s a Gena Hamshaw recipe from her cookbook Power Plates. I eat this every day for lunch. It’s that good. And it’s super simple to make. Below is my adapted version of the recipe.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 2 (15-ounce, or 425g) cans, drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 1 large dill pickle, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1 tablespoon capers + a splash of caper juice
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I use Veganaise), plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add everything into one large bowl. Mix well. That’s all I do!
Refrigerate overnight to let the flavors marinate.
I eat it with tomatoes, avocado, and cucumbers. Sometimes I add pita bread, rice, or baby red potatoes. Add any green vegetable and you’ve got a yummy, simple lunch. Enjoy! I love it!
Up next: a review of Shia LaBeouf’s autobiographical film “Honey Boy” (2019).