My friend Janet once told me, “Turn your pain into art.” Without pain, there is no depth to creative work. It’s empty.
Contemporary examples in music are:
- Rihanna: Love on the Brain
- Adele: Rolling in the Deep
- Beyonce: Lemonade (the entire album)
- Alanis Morrissette: You Oughta Know
- Lizzo: Truth Hurts
- Amy Winehouse: Back to Black
Quoting Mocha Angels Day 69, these artists have transmuted even bitter and heart-breaking experiences and conditions of life into spiritual loveliness.
So take what hurts and put it into song, poetry, photography, visual art, books, videos, or whatever you love.